The South African Weather Service issued an "extreme danger to life" weather warning for KwaZulu-Natal. SA Weather Service released a warning on Tuesday the 12th of November 2019 that accumulated rainfall could exceed 150mm in some parts of the province on Thursday and Friday the 14th and 15th of November 2019. There is a possibility of localised flooding, mudslides, destruction of property and further traffic disruptions over the next few days.
Media release: First significant summer rainfall could lead to potential flooding in places. Please find attached. pic.twitter.com/e7E5xNg9PK
— SA Weather Service (@SAWeatherServic) November 12, 2019
The MEC has asked residents to be vigilant as the risk of heavy rains and severe thunderstorms continue to pose a danger to the country. If you are under a flood warning or your area is being flooded find safe a shelter right away. Do not walk, swim, or drive through floodwaters just 15cm of moving water can knock you down, and 30cm of moving water can sweep your vehicle away. Stay off bridges and fast-moving water and try to find higher ground if possible.
Kwazulu-Natal District Disaster Management Centres contact details are as follows:
- Ugu District - 039 682 2414
- uMgungundlovu District - 033 343 1719
- uThukela District - 086 010 4257
- uMzinyathi District - 034 212 2222
- Amajuba District - 034 329 7200
- Zululand District - 035 870 1128/1130
- uMkhanyakude District - 080 011 7770/035 573 1647
- King Cetshwayo District - 086 100 3473/035 787 2698
- Ilembe District - 032 437 9379/1
- Harry Gwala District - 039 834 0070
- eThekwini Metro - 031 367 0000